Metal Building Retrofit Installation Guide
Before installing Tempshield® Reflective (Bubble) Insulation, inspect the ceiling for sprinkler systems, conduit and lights. Tempshield® Reflective (Bubble) Insulation is usually installed near the ceiling panels.
Tempshield® Reflective (Bubble) Insulation should be installed above sprinkler systems and water pipes to prevent freezing.
- Install 1″ x 2″ furring strips on the bottom of and perpendicular to the Z purlins on 22″ centers. Use 1-1/4″ self-taping sheet metal screws to secure the furring strips to the Z purlins.
- Butt furring strips together and tape. Staple tape for reinforcement.
- Use 72″ wide TempShield® Insulation and staple with sides bent down.
- There is no need to cut the TempShield® insulation to an exact size before installing, since the insulation is below the Z purlins.
- Use a pure silicone caulk to run a bead of caulk down the edges; press together. This will create a proper seal.*
*Make sure that the silicone caulk is applied in a continuous bead with no breaks. Gaps will cause air infiltration which may cause condensation.
The same pre-installation inspection must be made to insure a safe working environment.
- Install furring strips to the Z purlins with 1 1/4″ self-drilling screws on 22″ centers.
- Staple TempShield® insulation to the furring strips with 5/16″ staples every 3″ to 4″.
- Overlap the edges of TempShield® insulation. Apply a 3″ or 4″ aluminum tape continuously over the edges, sealing and securing the edges together. This should ensure that the insulation is air-tight, eliminating air infiltration which otherwise may cause condensation.