Wall Reflective Insulation
Side Wall Application
This application utilizes the properties of both mass insulation and TempShield® giving a superior system R-value of R-19.56. This application consists of TempShield® Insulation, mass insulation and rigid board. This assembly was developed to meet building codes while keeping framing costs down.
Includes ASHRAE’s standard interior & exterior air film thermal resistance values.
3.19 RSI, R-19.56
This application utilizes the properties of both mass insulation and TempShield® giving a superior system of 3.19 RSI and R-19.56. This assembly was initially developed for the Canadian market to meet their sidewall building codes while reaching framing costs. It met with great success!
- With a conventional 2" x 4" wall, use an R-12 (2.1 RSI) friction fit fiberglass batt and exterior 1/2" rigid board. Nail 1" x 2" furring strips across the studs every 16".
- Staple TempShield® insulation to the furring strips using 5/16" staples. Tape all seams using Foil Tape.
- Nail a second set of 1" x 2" furring strips directly over the first set of furring strips using three #10 wood screws.
- Apply sheet rock to the furring strips using sheet rock screws.
- In this application, TempShield® becomes both the vapor retarder as well as an insulator.
- A helpful hint…use shallow electric boxes and install them in the last set of furring strips, then the vapor retarder will remain intact.
Alternate Side Wall Application Using TempShield® Staple Tab
Many U.S. contractors utilize TempShield® staple tab insulation in a 2" x 6" side wall cavity to avoid the application expense and labor of using furring strips. Roll widths are 16" and 24" on center for convenience and 48" rolls are also available.