Metal Building Retrofit Installation
Roof Installation / Bottom of Purlins
Before installing TempShield®, inspect the roof area for clutter—water sprinkler systems, conduit and lights. Sprinkler systems are especially important. All water pipes must be below the insulation to prevent the possibility of freezing in the winter. In many instances, the TempShield® must be installed up near the roof deck.
- Install 1" x 2" furring strips on the bottom of and perpendicular to the Z purlins on 22" centers. Use 1-1/4" self-taping sheet metal screws to secure the furring strips to the Z purlins.
- Butt furring strips together and tape. Staple tape for reinforcement.
- Use 72" wide TempShield® Insulation and staple with sides bent down.
- There is no need to cut the TempShield® insulation to an exact size before installing, since the insulation is below the Z purlins.
- Use a pure silicone caulk to run a bead of caulk down the edges; press together. This will create a proper seal.*
*Make sure that the silicone caulk is applied in a continuous bead with no breaks. Gaps will cause air infiltration which may cause condensation.
The same pre-installation inspection must be made to insure a safe working environment.
- Install furring strips to the Z purlins with 1 1/4" self-drilling screws on 22" centers.
- Staple TempShield® insulation to the furring strips with 5/16" staples every 3" to 4".
- Overlap the edges of TempShield® insulation. Apply a 3" or 4" aluminum tape continuously over the edges, sealing and securing the edges together. This should ensure that the insulation is air-tight, eliminating air infiltration which otherwise may cause condensation.